Getting your Gear
Being prepared whilst you are travelling abroad is always a good idea. Fiji can produce a minor surprise or two so we’ll try to give you a little ‘heads up’ on some things to bring along.
The Fiji Islands are famous for its hot sun, which to some extent is good for your skin but as we all know, too much of a good thing may be harmful… so do travel with some sunscreen. Mozzies, or mosquitoes as they are better known to the rest of the world, are around at night in some places more than others so it will be best if you came prepared with mosquito repellent. Just a helpful hint, there is no Malaria in Fiji. You have no reason to worry as there are no snakes, deadly bugs, predatory animals, guns, therefore, no reason to get concerned beyond normal scrapes and bruises if you are the ‘outdoor’ adventurous type.
These are the some of the items that should be included on a ‘Fiji checklist’:
- Sunscreen 30 + (the Fijian sun is always hotter than you think)
- Sun hat
- Flip-flops, sandals, or thongs, walking shoes if you are planning on trekking
- Basic first aid kit
- Mosquito repellant
- Camera & batteries (charged for those great pictures you will take home and show).
- Travel alarm so that you don’t miss your transportation to your next trip/ tour
- Light cotton clothing is most comfortable in the tropics, easy to wash and dries quickly
- Long pant for man and a long skirt/wrap/sulu for when you have those visits to the villages (because these places have dress codes for people to follow) as a sign of respect.
- One warm shirt for cool nights in the highlands
- Raincoat ( to protect you from one of those rainy days)
- Toiletry items
- Zip lock bags to store your valuables when you are up in the mountains or even in the sea for your diving or snorkeling trips
- Photocopies of your passport & other VIP documents
- Waterproof luggage as small interisland boat journeys can be a little damp
Most of these items can be purchased from stores in Fiji, but just to be on the safe side, travel with extra items in case you don’t find them conveniently here or if want to pay less.